Boys’ Track and Cross Country Overlap

Allison Ramsey, Contributing Writer

The Oak Forest Boys’ Cross Country team and distance Track team consist of some of the most dedicated people. During the hot summer they all run every day to get into shape for Cross Country and to be the best athletes they can be. Once the Cross Country season ends, they take a 1-2 week break and then start running every day, again getting into shape for the Track season. They run throughout the winter, no matter what freezing weather awaits them outside. The boys go on runs together and they also go on runs on their own. They work very hard and they are dedicated to improving individually and as a team.

Cross country and distance track are very difficult sports because they have to try to eat healthy, get good sleep, and run every day. The boys go through the tough days together. Mike Reif got first in the conference and went to State this year for cross country. Reif also got first in conference for the 2 mile last year in track. Zachary Maher and Raj Patel are running in college next year. Zachary will be going to Trinity Christian College, and Raj will be attending Saint Xavier University. Tim Moran had improved by 3 minutes in his 3 mile in Cross Country since his freshman year. A Cross Country meet could be 100 degrees, and at the indoor meets for track, the 2 mile is 20 laps, while the mile is 10 laps. The team is mentally strong for running the hot summers, cold winters, and hard meets. The runners are like a family because they are really close; they go through difficult times together in the sports that they love.