Sports Spring to Life

Emma Schifferl, Staff Writer

After nearly a year of long meetings and times of uncertainty, sports have finally returned to Oak Forest High School. However, they have had to adapt in order to fit the guidelines and restrictions that COVID-19 has brought on. Many seasons have been changed around, and not all sports are being played because of COVID-19 and the weather. This pandemic has forced people to change their way of life, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel now that sports are coming back.

The Oak Forest basketball teams are doing very well this year. The boys’ varsity team has 10 wins in 12 games played this season; it is on a six-game winning streak. Between the Freshmen/Sophomore and JV basketball teams, they have a combined 13 wins this season. Girls basketball is doing just as well, starting 9-1 with the varsity team securing a win against T.F. North on March 5, finishing the game with an impressive 79 points. That followed a 78-point effort two days earlier. The JV team goes up against Tinley Park on March 9 at 5 pm, hoping to keep its four-game winning streak going.

The Oak Forest bowling teams are also doing well; each Varsity and JV teams will be going up against Tinley Park at 4:30 on Monday, March 8th. Also, both boys swimming and diving teams will compete against Tinley at TPHS at 4:30. Good luck!

On March 6, both the Oak Forest dance team and cheerleading teams went to IHSA Sectionals. While scores have been put out, IHSA stated that they need to be reviewed once again by officials before they can be finalized. Best wishes to all teams that competed.

Sports coming back has put a smile on many people’s faces. COVID-19 on has been very difficult for many, so with the reinstatement of sports, many have a newfound hope for the future. Good luck, Bengals, at all future games and competitions.