Learning the Game, Learning for Life

Back to Article
Back to Article

Learning the Game, Learning for Life

Ariel Torres, Contributing Writer

In the last four years at Oak Forest High School, I have had a lot of experiences that have made up my whole high school journey. I have been a part of three different sports teams here at Oak Forest, and I can easily say that sports here have made me the person who I am today. The friendships I have developed and the coaches who have pushed me to my fullest potential are the reason that my high school experience was so enjoyable. Not only have I built great relationships through this program—I have also made some great memories and learned skills that I will carry with me throughout my life.

For example, I have been a part of the Oak Forest girls basketball team for all four years. It helped me get through high school because I had such a great group of teammates, including some friends for life. This sport taught me self-respect and respect for others, which will help me in the future. I was on the sophomore team as a freshman, and I think that it helped me to mature faster because I was with older girls who pushed me to be better, which also helped me with my game and made me a better player. Little things like that are what will stick with me in the future and made me a greater athlete and person.